Eugene Quah Siew Ping
Eugene Quah Siew Ping
Areas of Practice
- Civil and Commercial Litigation
- Company and Commercial Law
- Corporate Law
- Employment Law
- Intellectual Property Law
- Landlord and Tenant Law
- Probate and Administration of Estates
- Bankruptcy and Insolvency Law
Eugene has more than 20 years of experience across all areas of legal work, including dispute resolution, commercial transactions, in-house legal operations and government & regulatory affairs. Eugene has held Partner-level positions in the dispute resolution departments of prominent law firms in Singapore. He was also Director of Corporate Affairs in Microsoft’s Thailand subsidiary.
Eugene has acted for a wide spectrum of clients, including multi-national companies, public-listed companies, private companies and high net-worth individuals across numerous industries. He currently practices primarily in the areas of commercial litigation and arbitration. He has handled disputes relating to shareholder, partnership and joint-venture matters; private investments; sale and purchase of companies; intellectual property; defamation; fraud; sale of goods; medical negligence and employment, among others.
Below are some of the significant matters that Eugene has handled:
- Represented shareholders and directors of a technology start-up against former shareholders and directors for breach of directors’ duties and criminal breach of trust in diverting the resources of the company for the use of another company (2019).
- Represented a public relations and marketing company against its former financial controller for causing financial losses through improperly management of the company’s finances (2019).
- Successfully representing a Chinese high net worth individual in a high value tenancy dispute in the Singapore High Court (2018).
- Successfully representing an investor against various parties in a S$6 million claim involving misrepresentation, breach of trust, and conspiracy to injure (2017).
- Successfully defending individual clients in one of the few actions commenced under the Singapore Protection from Harassment Act (Chapter 256A) that was taken to a full trial (2017).
- Represented an established Thai agricultural trading company against a Russian manufacturer of fertilizer in an arbitration under ICC Rules, with over US$7 million in issue (2016).
- Successfully representing a Swiss sports company in an arbitration under UNCITRAL Rules to claim over €2 million in damages in relation to the organization of an international football event in Southeast Asia (2015).
- Represented an Indonesian financial advisor against an Australian conglomerate in a SIAC arbitration over success fees, with US$5 million in dispute
- Represented an events management company against a group of employees in a dispute involving breaches of non-competition and confidentiality clauses in their employment contracts (2016).
- Represented a Thai high net worth investor in a claim against a major bank for mis-selling of financial products (2014).
- Represented a Singapore public-listed company in a joint-venture dispute, with over US$100 million in issue (2011).
- Represented an Indian business tycoon in an international arbitration concerning the sale of a major Indian mobile telecoms company, with over US$300 million in issue (2011).
- Represented one of Thailand’s largest rice exporters, in respect of multi-jurisdictional disputes with US$25 million in issue and proceedings in Shenzhen, Thailand, Hong Kong and USA (2009).
- Successfully defending a Singapore public-listed investment company against a S$2.3 million claim by its former CFO for severance payment.
- Recovered S$4 million from a foreign bank for a businessman from China who was deceived into signing pledge documents by the officers of the bank.
- Successfully defended a developer and his company against a claim for S$20 million in commissions in relation to an industrial park project.
Eugene speaks fluent Mandarin and Thai and has significant experience working in Thailand’s legal industry.
Eugene is admitted as an Advocate and Solicitor of the Supreme Court of Singapore (1997).